applying for Early Head Start
LSF Children and Head Start Services currently serves over 6,000 children and families in Duval, Hillsborough, Palm Beach, and Pinellas counties, making LSF the largest nonprofit Head Start Grantee in the Southeastern United States and one of the largest in the country.
Find out if you are eligible
Families must meet current Federal Poverty Guidelines in order to qualify for Head Start/Early Head Start. Foster children who are age eligible may qualify regardless of their family’s income.
The following guideline figures represent annual income.
|Persons in family/household||Poverty guideline|
For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,320 for each additional person.
Gather Required Documentation
Parents must provide the following documents when applying:
- Birth Certificate (Proof of Guardianship/Custody if applicable)
- Proof of Residency
- Proof of Income for the past 52 weeks or previous calendar year (i.e. pay stubs, W-2, 1040, statement from employer, etc.)
- Documentation of child’s disability (if applicable)
- Photo Identification of Parent
* Though not required at time of application, the child’s up-to-date physical exam and shot record must be on file prior to placement at a chosen center or family child care home.
Submit an Application
A Family and Community Engagement Specialist will contact you within 3 to 5 business days to schedule an intake appointment.
Early Head Start Child Care Partner
The Early Head Start Child Care Partnerships serves 100 children (6 weeks up to 3 years old) and their families. Our child care partners are located in zip codes 33578, 33610, 33611, 33614, 33615, 33617, 33619, 33624, 33634, 33637.
In addition to the traditional Early Head Start comprehensive services (education, health/mental health, family engagement), our child care partners program also provides the following options:
- Family Child Care Home (a more intimate, home environment with no more than 12 children).
- School Readiness Enrollment through Early Learning Coalition, which will allow for extended, or “wrap around” care for parents who are working.
Families interested in School Readiness must apply to Early Learning Coalition. Inquire about School Readiness at the time of your application.
APPLY IN PERSON
Drop off the application at the main LSF Head Start office in your county:
Address: 3635 W. Waters Avenue, Tampa, FL 33614