applying for Head Start / Early Head Start
Find out if you eligible
Families must meet current Federal Poverty Guidelines in order to qualify for Head Start/Early Head Start. Foster children who are age eligible may qualify regardless of their family’s income.
The following guideline figures represent annual income.
|Persons in family/household||Poverty guideline|
For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,320 for each additional person.
Gather Required Documentation
Parents must provide the following documents when applying:
- Birth Certificate (Proof of Guardianship/Custody if applicable)
- Proof of Residency
- Proof of Income for the past 52 weeks or previous calendar year (i.e. pay stubs, W-2, 1040, statement from employer, etc.)
- Documentation of child’s disability (if applicable)
- Photo Identification of Parent
* Though not required at time of application, the child’s up-to-date physical exam and shot record must be on file prior to placement at a chosen center or family child care home.
Apply Online: Online applications are available for selected counties. Click on your county from the list below to see if this option is available to you.
Apply in Person: Download the application and drop it off the at the main LSF Head Start office in your county.